Bringing You the Daily Dispatch

Rugby union Sport

The 2023 Rugby World Cup final between New Zealand and South Africa ended with a score of 11-12, as reported in real time.

New Zealand.

Jonathan Liew’s perspective on South Africa.


The 2023 Rugby World Cup has come to a close and South Africa has emerged as the champion once again, after an intense and thrilling final. Despite some disappointment over the lack of a new team on the trophy, this tournament should be recognized as a successful one. No one can deny that the impressive Springbok team is deserving of their victory.

Thank you for accompanying me in this game and all the others.

Coach Ian Foster, who lost the match, reflects on the game.

“I am devastated that we came so close to achieving it… I am proud of our team for battling back after receiving a red card early on and giving ourselves a chance. The match was a tough battle and both teams had their moments… I am extremely proud of our fighting spirit.”

Sam Cane is present, appearing completely depleted.

“The team displayed incredible courage tonight, especially since they had to play with only 14 players for over 50 minutes. They are all true warriors.”

“It has been a challenging journey. I would like to congratulate South Africa on their back-to-back championship. They have proven to be an exceptional team, despite facing a difficult path to the final. Their resilience and ability to consistently find a way to win is commendable.”

After that, the interviewer allowed him to leave, which was a kind gesture considering his appearance.

New Zealand's Sam Cane looks dejected as he walks past the trophy.

Today, we also triumphed over the host country of New Zealand.

Kolisi dances after talking to the media.

Despite facing the loss of their captain and several players receiving cards, New Zealand managed to keep the score within one point.

The exactness and correctness that proved successful against Ireland failed to carry over to this match, ultimately giving the dominant South African team an advantage. It’s important to acknowledge the significant role that South Africa’s defensive precision and strategic kicking played in their victory.

Below is the report for the match.

Pieter Steph Du Toit was named the Player of the Match.

I am grateful to my divine father for this chance. It was a challenging challenge, every game felt like a championship, with each win being decided by just one point. This demonstrates the determination of our team and our country, South Africa. We extend our gratitude to all those who made the effort to attend and travel here, and to those who showed their support.

He was exceptional during the game and his last tackle to prevent a New Zealand counterattack was a perfect representation of his enthusiasm and influence.

The South Africa Rugby Union has acted quickly…

South Africa has yet to experience a defeat in a World Cup Final.

They achieved a remarkable win in a competition where they had a combined victory margin of THREE POINTS in the elimination rounds. They have proven to be experts in seizing the smallest yet most powerful opportunities.

The match between New Zealand and South Africa lasted 80 minutes, with South Africa winning 12-11.

De Klerk is positioned at the rear of the scrum, but they manage to maintain possession and push their way over the line, securing another one-point win for South Africa. This significant moment creates a historic win and disappoints the All Blacks.

South Africa’s Jean Kleyn (left) and Pieter-Steph Du Toit celebrate.

In the 79th minute and 30 seconds, New Zealand makes a slight push forward, but the ball is not passed in by De Klerk. As a result, Barnes calls for a restart.

In the 79th minute, the All Blacks had more opportunities, but they were unable to advance beyond halfway. Kwagga Smith managed to gain possession from Ioane on the ground, although it appeared that Ioane was first to touch the ground. However, Referee Barnes did not acknowledge this.

The ball travels to the right side, but despite New Zealand regaining possession, it is dropped forward as Savea tries to pass.

The South African rugby team, known as the Springboks, have 30 seconds to secure victory and achieve glory.

NZ has possession of the ball for 78 minutes, but they are currently in their own half. They have a long way to go and not much time to do so.

After 76 minutes, Pollard attempts a drop-goal by adjusting his levers. However, Savea injures his ligaments in order to reach the ball and successfully block it. Beauden Barrett then tries to run it out, but is abruptly halted on his own 22-meter line by Du Toit, who has been an outstanding player in the game.

De Klerk charges down Christie’s box-kick, causing it to dribble out of play.

73 minutes. The knock-on occurred just inside the Bok half and to the right, well within Jordie’s kicking range. He puts in his best effort, but unfortunately it curves to the left. It appeared that he may have lost his balance as he kicked it for distance.

Mo’unga is substituted by Damian McKenzie.

72 minutes elapsed on the game clock. The All Blacks made a move to the right in their attack, but Kolbe intentionally disrupted a pass from Lienert-Brown. As a result, he was removed from the game for the rest of the match.

In the past 71 minutes, Faf De Klerk has become more active, as shown by his recent play where he sprinted up the blindside and attempted a diagonal kick towards the goalposts. The All Blacks caught the kick and B Barrett kicked it out of bounds.

Kolbe manages to catch the ball and attempts a drop kick from a considerable distance in Lille. However, the kick falls significantly short of the goal.

Christie kicks a box kick towards the Bok 22 and Kolbe catches it for De Klerk to return the favor with his own kick. Beauden Barrett attempts to catch it, but it bounces off his hands.

In South Africa, these small victories are celebrated as if they were scoring a try, highlighting their significance in the overall context of the match.

After 67 minutes, Mo’unga’s mistake causes a scrum to be formed near the middle of the field. However, there is a brief pause as some players do not hear the whistle and continue to play along the opposite side of the field, with the New Zealand defense attempting to handle Kolbe.

After the game resumes, the Bok scrum executes a precise move where Le Roux calmly kicks the ball out of bounds in the All Black’s territory.


Samisoni Taukei’aho, Tamaiti Williams, and Nepo Laulala have taken the place of Ethan de Groot, Codie Taylor, and Tyrel Lomax. Aaron Smith has been substituted with Finlay Christie.

Kwagga Smith is confirmed to be substituted for Vermeulen. Willemse will be replaced by Willie Le Roux.

After 63 minutes, South Africa has brought in their substitutes to disrupt the All Blacks’ current momentum. This move has an immediate effect, with Kwagga Smith successfully stealing the ball from Will Jordan after he receives a long pass from Mo’unga.

New Zealand in Paris.

Siya Kolisi is penalised for a high tackle on Ardie Savea.

After 44 minutes, the Bok scrum’s possession is messy, but De Klerk is able to pass the ball to the right as the green team continues their attack with an angled kick that Arendse can chase. The ball appears to be heading out of bounds before Arendse quickly runs after it, almost scoring, but his foot is just out of bounds and he is unable to maintain control of the ball.

After 42 minutes, Pollard receives a kick return and sends it to Barrett, but he fumbles it. Kolisi then takes control and charges into the 22-yard line. With no clear passing option, the captain is tackled but manages to pass to De Allende. However, the All Blacks’ defense stops him from scoring, with Jordie Barrett being the one underneath the Bok center.

That would have been the game for sure.

Kolisi on the run but wastes the chance.

Handré Pollard gets us back into the game with his kicking.

Terence Green emails.

Once more, Wayne Barnes has taken away from what should have been a wonderful showcase for the sport of rugby and has instead made it about his own actions. This is unacceptable.

In all fairness, Barnes issued a yellow card for a tackle that involved an upright shoulder to the head, and requested the bunker to review it. The only reason his decision may be challenged is if one does not consider the Cane tackle to be worthy of at least a yellow card, which is highly unlikely.

There was a rugby match where the main focus was on a red card. This discussion may not be important to the players who have to face the next 40 minutes, especially the All Blacks who have to make a comeback and become the first team to win a World Cup Final after being down at halftime. And they have to do it with one less player, without their captain.

Consider the potential documentaries that could be created if they succeed.

The last few minutes of the first half saw both teams having some sporadic control, but ultimately resulting in no significant outcome.

After 37 minutes, despite being caught off guard, the All Blacks remain determined. Telea makes a clever move from a ruck and advances into the Bok 22. However, on the next possession, Etzebeth is penalized for offside. Despite having an advantage, the NZ team is unable to score as they pass the ball to Ioane who is pushed out of bounds near the goal line.

The game returns to the initial offense and Mo’unga contributes to the overall score.

Rieko Ioane is bundled out just short of the line.

After 33 minutes, during all of this, New Zealand was past the line of scrimmage on the 22-yard line and Pollard increases the advantage.

In the World Cup final, the first ever red card was given to the Cane yellow after 32 minutes.

The determining factor seems to be that the captain of NZ had a very upright stance and did not bend while tackling. This lack of effort to lower his tackle height made it challenging for the bunker to argue for mitigation.

Sam Cane looks dejected after an initial yellow card was upgraded to a red card.

After 31 minutes, South Africa has decided to make some moves. Vermeulen takes the ball from a scrum on halfway and passes it to De Klerk, who then passes it through the hands of Kolbe, who is off his wing. Kolbe then kicks a diagonal grubber towards the corner for Arendse to chase. Unfortunately, the ball goes out of bounds as Beauden Barrett covers the ground.

Source: theguardian.com