Bringing You the Daily Dispatch

Rugby union Sport

The Ealing versus Cornish Pirates game was called off when a player was rendered unconscious.

The rugby union game between Ealing Trailfinders and Cornish Pirates was called off on Saturday due to Ben Grubb, a player from the Pirates, being knocked unconscious by a high tackle. He was then taken to the hospital for further treatment.

A witness reported that Grubb was observed “writhing on the floor” following a “high hit” from Ealing’s prop Kyle Whyte at the Trailfinders Sports Club in west London.

The team playing at their home field, currently in first place in the Championship, had a 12-0 lead in the 62nd minute when the 20-year-old Grubb, who is registered with both clubs and has played one game for Exeter, got injured.

According to a statement posted on the Trailfinders website, the match between Ealing Trailfinders and Cornish Pirates scheduled for today has been cancelled. This is because of an injury sustained by Ben Grubb from Cornish Pirates. Our team extends our thoughts and well wishes to him, his loved ones, and the Cornish Pirates organization. We hope for a quick recovery.

Cornish Pirates announced that Grubb was released from the hospital on Saturday evening.

There is good news to report: Ben Grubb has been released from the hospital after receiving a clean bill of health from his tests and scans. According to the club’s statement, Ben will be returning to Cornwall and will continue his rehabilitation with the club next week. Ben also wanted to express his gratitude for all the kind messages he received.

Ethan Wetherell, a performance analyst for the Cornish Pirates, reported that the player appeared to be knocked unconscious and entered a state of survival after being hit. He was surrounded by others and unsure of what was happening. It is believed that there may have been a seizure on the field, prompting additional medical assistance.

Former British rowing champion Grubb suffered a severe injury on the pitch and had to receive extended treatment before being transported to the hospital via ambulance. By the time this happened, all of the players had already left the field.

“He was eventually lifted back up, but due to his condition, he was pushing away anyone who attempted to assist him,” Wetherell stated. “An ambulance arrived on the field and took him away.”

Bypass the promotion for the newsletter.

“I don’t believe it was intentionally harmful,” Wetherell commented about the incident. “It was not a deliberate use of the shoulder. Whyte simply attempted a powerful shot and missed the mark… It could have resulted in a red card, but the game was ultimately cancelled.”

Concussion is a major issue in the sport of rugby, as evidenced by the 300 ex-players (such as Steve Thompson, a member of England’s 2003 Rugby World Cup-winning team, and Alix Popham, a Welsh international) who are suing governing organizations for injuries sustained during their time as athletes.

Source: theguardian.com