Bringing You the Daily Dispatch

Rugby union Sport

Exeter shocks Toulon with late conversion by Slade in Champions Cup match summary.

Exeter secured a dramatic 19-18 victory over Toulon in their first Champions Cup match thanks to Henry Slade’s successful conversion with the last kick of the game. Despite being down by 13 points at halftime, the English team shut out their opponents in the second half to secure the win in Pool 3.

With only a minute remaining at Stade Mayol, Jacques Vermeulen scored a close-range try for Exeter, followed by a successful conversion by Slade. This impressive performance has allowed Exeter to make a strong start to the tournament.

Harvey Skinner managed to score a quick interception try for Exeter, but Toulon soon gained control with prop Beka Gigashvili and former Leicester scrum-half Ben White scoring tries. Enzo Hervé also contributed to their lead with a successful conversion and two penalties.

Exeter trailed by 18-5 at halftime, but their second-half showing will go down as one of their best in European history. Hooker Max Norey scored a try that was converted by Slade, leading to a memorable finale.

Munster’s debut in Pool 3 was a disappointment as they were tied 17-17 by Bayonne at Thomond Park.

Shay McCarthy and Gavin Coombes, playing on the wing and as No 8 respectively, scored tries in the first half for Munster. These were both successfully converted by Jack Crowley, giving Munster a strong advantage.

Crowley successfully made a penalty kick, however, Bayonne showed that their lower ranking in the French Top 14 did not hinder them as they responded with a penalty from Maxime Machenaud. Junior Tagi, a prop, scored a try shortly after half-time which was converted by Maxime Machenaud. Five minutes before the end, wing Remy Baget also scored a try and Thomas Dolhagary’s successful conversion led to Bayonne tying the game.

Blair Kinghorn successfully scored two tries in his debut game with Toulouse. This marked the start of the French team’s journey towards their sixth European title. The game took place in a wet Stade Ernest-Wallon in Bath’s Pool 2, where Toulouse dominated and defeated Cardiff 52-7. Kinghorn’s contributions included scoring the third and seventh tries for Toulouse, showcasing their strong all-around gameplay that left Cardiff unable to keep up.

Avoid the newsletter advertisement.

At Ashton Gate, Bristol narrowly defeated Lyon 36-34 in a suspenseful thriller thanks to Callum Sheedy’s last-minute drop goal.

Source: theguardian.com